Saturday, August 16, 2014

Tough Mudder - Tahoe



If you didn't know, I did the Tough Mudder race in Truckee, CA this past Saturday. This was my experience that I just posted to my timeline and wanted to share here.
2 days after Tough Mudder....still SORE!! Wow.....what an experience!! Definitely one of the hardest things I've ever been through. Not to mention I tweaked my knee....in MILE 2....and had to do the other 9 MILES with a hurt knee.
Now I've never had knee problems but holy cow, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the side of my knee every step I took. And the fact that the whole thing was either extremely uphill or extremely downhill made it excruciatingly painful and impossible.
BUT if I learned anything from Insanity, Beachbody, being in and leading support groups
...it was to never give up! And I was thisclose to quitting about 10 times! My TEAM didn't let me down. Rachael Romero Robart and my husband Mikkel Dybvig both held my hand while struggling to even go down a simple hill while others jogged past us. Mikkel even carried me at times while people mumbled and snickered at me thinking that I was weak and couldn't make it. Which made me even more determined. I wasn't tired. In fact, I was impressed with the endurance I had!
Mile 8 and I was in tears from the pain. It made me mad and frustrated. I wanted to enjoy it and not wish it was over! But I'm stubborn and wanted that orange headband and beer
I think the last 3 miles all I kept saying was "Don't give up Don't give up, you're almost there, don't quit!"
I admit I had to skip the last couple of obstacles because at that point crossing the finish line was my ultimate goal.
We all held hands as we crossed and I hobbled across the finish line. Cheers, headbands, beers...yay!!! And then I cried.
Because I made it and didn't think I could. I wanted to give up and I didn't.
Will I do another one........ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I'll get back to you on that
But I'm glad I did it, I'm proud if myself for not quitting and it's something I will never forget doing. Check mark off the bucket list.
****Please, Never push through an injury, not recommended! ..and yes, my knee is still a bit tweaked so I think I'll rest for a week or so...I deserve it

No comments:

Post a Comment